Painting Terra Cotta Pots with Acrylics



One of my garden goals this year is to add more color to my garden. Specifically something that will last through the dreary winter months. Painted pots ought to do!





My first inspiration came from the DIY club. These pots were made with chalk paint and sealed with patio paint. Click on the link above for the complete tutorial. 


I also liked the more distressed look of these pots at shelternes.com. This idea used candle wax and whatever type of paint you already have on hand.


I tried a couple looks on my pots before settling on the finished product.

Attempt 1: Straight Acrylic and sandpaper 

applied acrylic paint all over pot
rubbed pot using a damp t-shirt rag

the rag wasn't distressing enough
so I turned to sandpaper

In the end, I wasn't really happy with Attempt 1. It just didn't "look right" to me.

Attempt 2: Paint Wash and terry cloth


I created a paint wash with the acrylic and water,
then re-coated the pots.
if it seemed too dark, it was given another paint wash of
a lighter acrylic paint


then each pot was rubbed with a
damp terry cloth...
much better than sandpaper or a t-shirt rag

paint wash success the first time! 

just needs some patio paint sealer and then...
ready for the garden! 

Life on Lakeshore Drive Pick of the Bunch at Bouquet of Talent Linky Party
The DedicatedHouseClick Here for Anything Blue Friday @ The Dedicated House

Comments

  1. The color you chose for your pots are beautiful and will accent your blooms so well!
    Jemma

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for sharing. Found you on Diana Rambles link party. I really like your blog.

    Kollette
    www.weeklyessential.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sweet! I would love for you to come and share! Come join the link party @ Share it With Us Saturdays on Great Tastes Tuesdays! The party starts Friday @ 8:30 p.m. Mountain time and runs all weekend. Don’t miss out! I would love to have you! http://greatastestuesdays.blogspot.com/2013/04/document.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the way these turned out, just pinned! Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cute!! I love love love the look!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello! You were the link before me at Kammy's Korner Trash 2 Treasure link party. I absolutely love the rustic look of these pots! I can see them on my window sill :) Have a great day!

    Hugs,
    Angie
    www.easylivingmom.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your pots look great. I love the color! I was planning on painting a pot or two for my Beatrix Potter/Peter Rabbit inspired nursery. I'm glad acrylic paints will work so well. Visiting from the Time to Shine link party. ~ Jamie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh those pots look great! I have never painted my outdoor pots, but I think I will try a few this summer! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful!! I'm pinning this - we're getting ready to paint terra cotta pots for decorations at church! Thanks for the tutorial! =) Found you at Fluster Buster's party. Hope you have a great evening!

    Danielle
    SewMuchCrafting.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love these pots. Love the gentle distressing. Perfect for the garden!
    Anjana @ http://happyandharried.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great idea......Thank you for sharing with the Clever Chicks Blog Hop this week; I hope you’ll join us again!


    Cheers,
    Kathy Shea Mormino

    The Chicken Chick

    http://www.The-Chicken-Chick.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a nice transformation! I'll send you mine to do next ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the colours! You did a great job ;)
    Jamie @ somuchbetterwithage.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your pots turned out perfect and the colors are amazing. Thank you for sharing the "how to". Blessings, Patti

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such a great idea, and I love the colors!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wish I could have included your great post in my feature on reuse of clay pots a few weeks ago. http://onceuponafirefly.blogspot.com/2013/04/past-their-prime-to-pot-whimsy.html

    Great post. If you'd ever like to be a guest blogger for my (ir)regular Monday Re: green feature, let me know. I'm now following you.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great color you chose for your pots!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Cute! Great idea:)
    Krista @thehappyhousie.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love the colors! Cute project. Visiting from The Dedicated House...Anything Blue Friday.
    Babs

    ReplyDelete
  20. love these pots- the colors are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  21. looks great love the colorful pots what a great pop they will make

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love these, and I appreciate you sharing your "failed attempts". It helps to see how you figure out what results you like best.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment