Pieced-Together Planter

Its that time of the year again where I renew my resolve to grow outdoor plants. 

My secret to success? Automatic watering system. 

And the secret behind that? Someone else, the HOA gardeners, maintain and program it. 

Yep, that's all it takes. hehe

All my plants are put in the front yard for this reason. Anything I put in the backyard dies because its entirely up to me to water it. I keep telling myself I'll install a simple timer-based watering system...but I've said it for so many years now it's become a joke. 

Thrift store finds: metal candle-holder and metal strainer. The total cost between the two is under $10. 


I just ADORE the stars pattern on this strainer. The stars are the only reason I bought this...just couldn't say no. 
















The base was painted with diy chalk paint in Kingfisher Blue (Valspar) and stained with Espresso stain.(Click Here for the previous post on this look.) It's a color combo I've gotten a bit obsessed with lately. The buffet in the background has received the same look. I'll post about it eventually. Its currently in the basement and photos against raw concrete just don't do it justice.

A couple generous coats of spar urethane (for outdoor use) sealed this beauty up. Fingers crossed it weathers the spring rains and brutal summer light.
A short how-to on securing the top to the bottom:

1. secure wire to the top of the candle holder
2. thread wire thru the bottom of the strainer, use needle nose pliers
3. generously apply E-6000 glue between the two pieces
(not pictured) tighten the wires to pull the two pieces tightly together
I also added more glue to the tightened wire so it could
drip through the holes and add extra support
4. weight down and let dry completely



At this point in the project, it was too cold outside for flowers, but it looked fabulous against this arrangement inside.

You can kinda see some light distressing where the yellow peeks thru.




A coconut liner from the dollar store, potting soil, and a pansy plant complete the look. I can't wait to see this plant fill up this space! 


Can you imagine if this candle holder was alive in the Beast's Enchanted Castle? Those legs strutting around while lighting up the staircase or dancing along to "Be Our Guest?" I can see it.

Those blue legs make it a beautiful addition to the garden any time of the year, even on the brown lawn. The grass hasn't gotten the memo yet that spring is here...evidently, it's waiting for that last spring snow before it puts forth the effort. 


A trio of happy plants greets us by the front door. Pretty to come home too. There's still more plants to pot and add to the arrangement. We're off to a positive and hopeful start to spring flowers!

 



Happy Spring! 

Pin-spiration Friendly:


Comments

  1. This is a great upcycle. Plus you can't go wrong with that color.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment