Dried Acorn Arrangement

The kids and I had collected a small bag full of acorns that we randomly came across outside a mini mall. The kids had fun finding them in the grass and we proudly displayed them in an old spaghetti jar. THEN, I found this post from Small Home Big Start on how to dry acorns for art projects. Oops! Pretty sure we suffocated all the bugs by the time I read the post.

Here is a version of how I dried the acorns. I liked the "natural" look and decided to keep all the acorns that had bug-holes chewed in them as well as the "caps" that were missing their "head." Its a fun assortment.



Materials Already On-Hand:     Project Cost: $0
Acorns
Empty Jar
Glue
Finishing Spray
Oven


Step 1: Wash/Rinse pine cones
I dumped mine in a strainer and ran it under water for a bit. Didn't really wipe them down or anything. 

Step 2: Bake at 200 degrees for 2-3 hours


Step 3: Glue lids onto the nut (no picture) 
Dry completely.
I used tacky craft glue but I don't think it matters what kind you use.

Step 4: Spray with a finishing spray. 
Small Home Big Start used a Satin Finishing spray to give more of a Pottery Barn effect. Since I was shooting for a more natural look I picked a different finishing spray.


Step 5: Display! 

hmmmmm...looks like the lid could use some spray paint


Comments