Nightmare Nightstand Renewed

I found this "beauty" of a nightstand sitting on a corner...alone...deserted...abandoned. The only thing this nightstand had going for it was that it was free. When I see things like this, I wonder, when was this really "in?" I'm grateful that faux wood in a clunky arrangement never caught on. Luckily several of the "decorative elements" were easy to knock off with a firm tap of the hammer.

The Transformation Process:
1. Remove Drawers and Inside "guts"
2. Replace bottom with random bits of wood and wood glue
3. Remove "decorative elements" (see arrow)
4. Fill holes (I used joint compound because its what was on the shelf. Maybe wood filler would work, too, but this table is faux wood. Is there a faux wood filler? lol)
5. Paint with homemade chalk paint... used 3-4 coats
6. Used spray sealer
7. Optional: Added contact paper to the top and inside bottom since this is in my son's room. His humidifier gets bumped often and contact paper seems easier to wipe up then deal with potential water damage.



Before and After


oops! bit of contact paper is hanging off the top corner
better take care of that before my son discovers
the "giant sticker" on top




Comments

  1. That's really cute! I can see this in a living room too, maybe with a silk flower arrangement inside.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love what you did to this! Love "curbing" things! Perfect with shelves!-aimee

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love what you did to this! Love "curbing" things! Perfect with shelves!-aimee

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's awesome! The nightstand is so cute now!
    I have several of these over chunky (almost exactly the same as your find) that my hubby bought for our kids! They're sooo ugly! I think I will try to copy you, and rip out the "guts" and paint...

    Awesome job! Julia

    ReplyDelete
  5. You did a great job on this!! Come link up with us tomorrow for Craft Frenzy Friday at www.craftdictator.com!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This site is good because they give us a new thing and new ideas and new topic how good all of they are we should appreciate them because of these good thing.
    professional assemblers

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment