Pinterest Challenge: Happy Birthday Reminder Sign







This was pinned to my Crafts to Make board on Pinterest  and then about 15 minutes later I was rummaging around in my craft room for supplies. Maybe 2 minutes later this project was started! I don't usually have such a fast turn-around on projects (my mind is set on "simmer") but this is a NEED for our home. Both my husband and I are HORRIBLE at remembering birthdays. Totally sucks for our family who sends us cards and gifts and we're responding with a be-lated text b-day message. (I know, a belated birthday text message is sooooooooooo tacky!!!!) In all, I spent about a week on this project.


Head over to Classy Clutter for their tutorial on theirs, pictured above.


Originally I wanted to use juice lids...but when I counted out how many we'd  need just for our family, it wasn't feasible.

Challenge of resourcefulness! Next attempt, trace juice lid onto linen scraps and cut out.


Each circle was coated with Mod Podge to make them flat and sturdy. 


I was going to use fabric marker to write names and b-days, but then I thought of this idea instead. I purchased a shiny neutral scrap book paper from Michaels for the owl's bodies. Eyes and wings were made with pieces of scrap book paper on hand. Using the white sharpie paint pen I made the whites of their eyes. 


Colored sharpies were used to color in the eyes. 


Each owl was glued onto the linen circle using craft glue. I unraveled a square of burlap for the ties. You can kind of see the needle below. It was tricker on the circles where the Mod Podge went to the edge...the needle had a difficult time making a hole large enough for the burlap string to pass through. 


A paint stick and the original knob from the Bathroom Cabinet found at a garage sale were spray painted with brown spray paint. Here are the owls arranged in chronological order. 



Using two different stencils and blending two acrylic paint colors together I added the phrase, "OWL remember B-day." 






wide shot of my dining room accent wall

 Not sure if this is the permanent home or not. It looks cute here and we do spend a lot of time in this multi-purpose dining/computer room so it'll get eye-balled frequently. The real question, though, is will we remember to say Happy Birthday before the day or will old habits die hard?

Comments

  1. This is a fabulous idea! Thanks for sharing it at Talkin’ About Thursday - http://designeddecor.com/talkin-about-thursday-link-party4/
    DeDe@DesignedDecor

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww....so cute! Visiting from Bouquet Of Talent - thanks for sharing :)

    Hugs,
    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your variation on the pin you found! The owls are so cute :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such a cute idea! Everyone loves to be remembered on their birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great idea for remembering birthdays. We are HORRIBLE at it!! We don't even bother with the belated text messages! Yikes!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This owl fanatic thinks your owls are adorable!! You did a great job. Thanks so much for sharing at A Bouquet of Talent. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very cute ideas. Thank you for sharing with the Clever Chicks Blog Hop this week; I hope you’ll join us again!


    Cheers,
    Kathy Shea Mormino

    The Chicken Chick

    http://www.The-Chicken-Chick.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. These owls are adorable! Thanks for linking up to The Weekly Creative.

    Shannon @ Sewing Barefoot

    ReplyDelete
  9. Super cute! This is definitely something that I need in my life... :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Carinissimi! Really gorgeous! :-) Finally a birthday calendar made whith paper & love, not a web application!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for sharing this cute idea at Simple & Sweet Fridays!


    Jody

    ReplyDelete
  12. Neat idea. Love the owls. Found you on clever chicks hop.
    www.thememorynest.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a fun way to remember birthdays! Thanks so much for linking up over at Finding the Pretty & Delicious Link Party. Hope you'll join in again this Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a great idea. I love how it's out in the open so everyone knows whose birthday is coming up!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a cute idea! I would love to have you join me as I kick off my brand new Creative HomeAcre Hop today at:
    http://www.theselfsufficienthomeacre.com/category/the-creative-hopmeacre-hop

    ReplyDelete
  16. VERY cute! I am so the same way-I don't remember until the last minute, and then I feel terrible! Thanks for sharing at the Pinterest ChallengE!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great idea and cute too - It's my featured pin on the Pinterest Challenge board. Thanks for linking to the party:)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Owl LOVE your OWLS! SO incredibly adorable- saying hi from the chicken chick hop. Cheers! New reader :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment