Metal Cart Refresh

The 1970's called and they want their cart back.

Actually, I wasn't alive in the 70's and I've never seen anything like this before so I'm assuming these pullout "wings" are to hang magazines. Or are they shelf extensions? Anyone know?

cleaned and ready for spray paint

This forlorn cart was discovered in the furniture section of my favorite thrift store. Initially, I thought I could transform it into a rolling craft cart by adding some sides to the top shelf. That idea never took off for various reasons. Mainly, I just wasn't feeling it, like the cart was telling me that it didn't want to be a craft cart with sides built around the shelves. It was happy with itself just the way it was originally built...even if I am foggy on its original purpose.

In another project,, I used this faux wood contact paper and decided it would look great on this cart...brighten up that dingy brown faux wood with a lighter grain.






The refresh began with the awesome job of applying contact paper without wrinkling. Anyone who's worked with contact paper knows what I'm talking about. The planets must align just so to ensure a smooth application. God forbid you sneeze or blink because, BOOM, a wrinkle creases under your fingers and the whole pattern is in danger of going kittywampus.

 Then the metal pieces were sprayed with a copper spray paint for a more modern metal look.







After a couple coats of copper paint and several coats of a clear sealer, the cart was finished.















Currently, it functions as a plant holder.

Spring is around the corner but for now, the view out the window says winter. I enjoy snuggling up on the chair next to this window (removed for the pictures) and savoring my indoor garden. I usually kill plants but these two spider plants came well established and practically grow themselves. I'm currently trying to encourage a pup to put down roots.   


The other two plants, one on the stand and the other far right, are desperately clinging to life. They appear to be budding so I'll keep watering and hope for the best.
 Above, you can see it with the "wings" extended. They are pretty sturdy...so maybe not a magazine rack, since it holds weight?
Below, the "wings" are tucked down. Do you see the Union Jack mini-stool under the yellow pot? Its a favorite project of mine. I have a whole board dedicated to the Union Jack pattern, a favorite since college.




Now to finish unpacking my stash of books and add some reading material to the bottom shelf. Or maybe a basket of plant-care supplies: fertilizer, watering cane, an indoor plant guide couldn't hurt. 

I'm pleased with this makeover. It fits in well with this space and the purpose it has been assigned. 

Pinterest Friendly Pin





Comments

  1. Shared to the Coastal Bohemian Upcycle Board. Nice work

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a really cool looking cart! I haven't see one like it and I grew up in the 70's lol. Your makeover is great - love the copper paint you used. I would guess that it was a plant stand??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Its been doing great as a plant stand. I can't imagine what else it could have been designed for. ????

      Delete
  3. I absolutely love how this turned out. I'm sure you're enjoying it. Great job and thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks like a different cart. Great improvement.

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL Audra, loved the way you explained how impossibly frustrating it can be to get contact paper to lie flat and wrinkle free. In my case I don't think those plants have ever aligned properly :-) Love you cart makeover and I have to admit even though I was around in the 70's and 60's I have no cooking clue what those metal bits on the side where originally for. Maybe it was a bar cart or serving thingy in a previous lifetime?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh! A bar cart! That's a great idea! I can totally see how it could work as a bar cart or serving cart.

      Delete
  6. I think your cart turned out very pretty! I was around in the 70's but I haven't seen a cart quite like that so I have no idea what the wire wing thingy's are. Holding magazines sounds feasible, but I like your idea better. Holding plants! I love the wood looking contact paper. Looks so much better now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The wire wing thingys are too funny! Its definitely a different way to add extensions to a tabletop.

      Delete

Post a Comment